Welcome

Chillerton and Gatcombe Parish Council – Isle of Wight

Statement from Chillerton and Gatcombe Parish Council 

Chillerton and Gatcombe Parish Council would like to express profound sadness on hearing of the death of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II.

Since 6th February 1952 when she became Queen, Her Majesty’s life has been dedicated to serving this nation and the people within it. As the longest serving monarch, her presence has been a comfort and source of strength in a rapidly changing world.  She will be greatly missed and the great impact her reign has had will not be forgotten.

On behalf of the people of Chillerton and Gatcombe, the council would also like to extend sincere condolences to members of the Royal Family.

Books of condolence will be opened at St Olave’s Church in Gatcombe and at the Village Hall in Chillerton where the door will be open to allow access. Once established these will be open until the day after the funeral. Floral tributes can also be left on the grass slope in front of Chillerton Village Hall.

Nigel Phillips

Chairman, Chillerton and Gatcombe Parish Council

 

 

 

We hope that the information contained in these pages will be useful to Gatcombe and Chillerton residents and will illustrate the work and workings of the Parish Council. We hope it will also be of interest to people who may have links with the villages.

Chillerton Parish CouncilThis rural Parish comprises the villages of Gatcombe and Chillerton and lies 3.5 miles southwest of Newport. It contains two hundred dwellings ranging from Gatcombe House (former home of Charles Seeley, M.P. for the Isle of Wight in the nineteenth century) to the development of brand new, sympathetically designed houses via traditional stone and picturesque thatched cottages.

There is a primary school in Chillerton.

Within the parish there are approximately 25 miles of footpaths, bridleways and greenways, offering peaceful and tranquil walks and some spectacular views.

The pretty Parish Church of St Olave’s is one of the island’s oldest churches. It was completed c. 1292 and the tower was added in the fifteenth century. Burnt and scarred timbers from HMS Thunderer, which served in the Battle of Trafalgar, can be found in the porch. The Chancel windows are the work of William Morris and his Pre-Raphaelite Group.

The Isle of Wight Foxhounds have been kennelled at Gatcombe since 1927.

Dominating Chillerton is the mast which can be seen from most parts of the island. At a height of 750 feet (and built on a site 550 feet above sea level) it was opened in August 1958 and used to transmit TV signals to the south and southeast coastal areas of England. Although no longer used for this purpose, it does still transmit radio signals, including IW Radio and is also now used by NTL for transmitting mobile phone signals.

Chillerton Down is a popular site for hang gliding and paragliding.

Thank you for taking the time to visit our website.

 

Top Skip to content